In the beginning, we don’t have any of the 25 commercial skills we need to effectively go out of our comfort zone. We are stuck with our current “social” skills that we learned from parents, teachers, jobs and from our social life.
So we should start by finding prospects in a way that works for us. Something comfortable that we can feel good about.
So this could be:
Asking for referrals.
Running newspaper ads.
Sending out postcards.
Signature file marketing.
Talking to people from a booth at a fair.
Passing out samples.
Creating your own leads.
Using bird dogs, etc.
So, what method of prospecting is currently working for you?
And do you like the method?
It is common knowledge that you can’t win the race by following the crowd. So let’s make sure we are not blindly following a prospecting technique that is comfortable for others, but not for ourselves.
So what is your natural market?
Your natural market will be easier and more comfortable for you to build. This way you will look forward to networking every day.
Some examples of a natural market:
1. Teachers, especially if you are a teacher and know their problems.
2. Small business owners. Maybe you have a job where you are in contact with them.
3. Young mothers with children. You also have children and enjoy mingling with other mothers.
4. Chat rooms. You may be addicted to late night chat rooms and find them fun.
5. Co-workers. They want the same thing we do. More money, more time away from the job.
So keep asking yourself,
“What is my natural market?”
Let’s determine that, and then make a plan for you to reach them effectively.